10.06.2008

Laurie Johnson Photography

One thing I love about Asheville is the amazing sense of community. I'm not romanticizing life here; certainly, we are not without our squabbles and conflicts. But on balance, there's a remarkable cohesiveness. People help each other out--not because they have to, but because it's the right thing to do.

I've been struck by this spirit anew as I've begun building a business here. I've met some really wonderful photographers who have generously offered their time and expertise and helped me grow as an artist and professional.

Periodically, on this site, I'm going to introduce them.

First up is Laurie Johnson, whom I met a couple of years ago through the JCC, where we send our kids to preschool. Laurie first connected with me because of my incredible fashion sense: I drop off my kids in what are essentially pajamas. And though some might have mistaken my outfits for workout attire (fleece tops, stretchy yoga-style pants), Laurie saw my clothing for what it was and thought, "Now there's somebody I can relate to."

Since that time, Laurie has offered tons of guidance on photo-related issues large and small. But that's just her way. She's always helping people out, whether it's formal venues like fundraisers (you wouldn't believe the time, energy, and talent she commits to the JCC, for example) or informal acts of kindness that are woven into her everyday life.

So, thank you, Laurie! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. And everyone else: go check out her stuff.

No comments: